Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Cheapest in the World



When I heard these words from the head of the department of radiology at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) attached to his fee for an MRI, I conjured up so many meanings. I knew that he meant that one could not find a $385 MRI done at any hospital anywhere else in the world. Yet, knowing Nigeria, another meaning that I subscribed to was the cheapest “quality” MRI in the world. Still, considering our context, another connotation was that it be performed with the “cheapest” MRI technicians in the world. At that point, I just wanted my knee to get under the Magnetic Resonance Image (MRI) device and discover the real “bone of contention.”

I first consulted with the radiology department at UMTH about their MRI just after Christmas and we booked an appointment for the beginning of January. 10 days later I was under the MRI for 40 minutes listening to the magnets “grind away” to capture resonant images of my knee. By the next week, the head of radiology, Dr. Ahidjo, insisted that they had to perform another MRI on my left knee for free. Now I wondered if they didn’t get it right the first time, the images weren’t clear, or they just enjoyed looking at “Bature” (European) knees. However, the second MRI on my left knee a couple of weeks later was uneventful and we hoped would give us a comprehensive picture.

When we finally received the CD, hard copies, and analysis from the radiology head, Dr. Eni (deacon among Wulari believers) recommended that I begin a series of six injections in my right knee called Synject, begin arthritis long-term medicine called ArthoCare, and take consistent anti-inflammatory. The MRI showed some cartilage degeneration in my right knee due to a bone spur but very little damage to my left knee. However, after receiving the first Synject in my right knee, my entire right leg began swelling up at the knee and ankle. After a week of unmitigated left leg swelling, Dr. Eni decided to now inject the swollen left knee with Synject. Only a couple of days after this left knee injection, I was forced to lie down on our bed for 3 days without movement due to severe pain in my left knee, left calf, and left ankle.

Just yesterday, Dr. Eni decided to synergistically supplement the Synject with a steroid called Kenalog and the relief was pronounced. Although my left knee is still tight, the flexibility is returning and I’m hopeful for a better range of movement in a couple of days. My right knee will receive another Synject injection today with the hope that cumulative shots will create restoration in the synovial membrane surrounding the knee. All of this highlights that life is short, our bodies are frail, we cannot take tomorrow for granted, and our need to make the most of today. An old friend in the Memphis inner city ministry used to tell me, “sometimes brother the Lord has to lay you down …”

Ultimately we are not in control of anything and our lives are totally in the hands of our Creator. MRI’s, injections, arthritic drugs, anti-inflammatory, and orthopedic doctors are tremendous blessing but they are not ultimately the healers. I’m always reminding when walking through the hospital that 99% of the people there are in far worse condition than me. This only drives me to the belief that we need health care mobilized in rural areas for the poorest villagers. The cheapest medical care in the world must be coupled together with the message of the costly sacrifice of the Gentle Healer.

No comments: